The Old Days ...

ShortNote:Sorry about the picture quality and the color of the pictures in this post. All pictures taken with my old Sony P2 or my plal Steves Ixus 400 in Low res, 3~4 years ago. Also back then I dunno how to take picture mah ......





<
I found out from SiteMeter that there are some readers from Sabah, and make me have the urge to dig out all the old pictures and share with you all.This entry is specially dedicated to all me friends back in Sabah, I really miss you guys so much. So I feel like digging out some old pictures from my ext hard drive and maybe post some pictures, since I spend so much time/effort to take all these pictures and never show anyone before.... well... Enjoy. Specially you, Kenny ! hehehehe





Some of you may not know I work in a Musical Instruments Shop before, back in Sabah. When I first started college in KK, a college mate bring me to a guitar owned by his friend since we both love music so much and we jam together sometimes. And the shop is actually 10 mins walking distance from my place. So everyday after class or before class or time that I have no class, I will go lepak in this shop owned by Steve, a very good friend of mine who thought me Bass. As days goes by, I became a 'part time' in his shop but not getting any salary, which I dont really mind since I have nothing bettter to do what. As helping him out made me learnt alot too. I learn how to play bass guitar, I learn that is the difference between a Guitar Amp and a Bass Amp, I learnt the different tone between a Fender Stratocaster and Fender Telecaster, I learnt the different tone between a Fender Jazz Bass and a Yamaha 5 String Active Bass, I learnt how to tune a guitar without tuner .... and alot more about musical instruments and sounds effects and mixers, and speakers .......



Guitar shop sure have alot of guitar right ? hehehe. I spent time trying to learn the difference between brands and models. As there will be customer asking :"Boss, the RM 300 and RM3000 same sound ah ? Why that one so expensive ah ? " I got to make sure I know how to answer these kind of questions. Other than that, I too have pratice my skill and tune a guitar without a Tuner. Most of the time customer will request a Demo before he decide on the purchase. But we dont want the customer to try by themself, since the sweat on thier hands will make the guitar strings rusty. So we will do the demo for them, and that's why me must be more sai lei then them so they wont laugh at you when you do Demo. We too provide a free tuning service for the customer, imagine when there's 5~6 or more people buying guitar at the same time, we have to be really fast and accurate on the tuning so the customers don't need to wait so long.




Sometimes we have friendly friends to come over and chui sui yam cha with us. So 1 day can have 5~6 Yam cha session coz all of them come at different time. Now you guys know my I can have my Teh Tarik so long life ler. 1 cup on Teh Ice can last me 2~3 hours one ler, so I don't order drink on every Yam Cha session ler, save money and maintain fitness.




But other than Yam Cha we also have better things to do one ler. Like here, we all sit down and talk about Notes and Scales. Dunno what is that ? Dun worry, I dun know also ... HAHAHA. have been playing music for so long and still dunno how to read notes and scales, shame on me. But anyway, I don't like to look at those ler, I prefer playing live. As we all will decide that cords we want for the songs, then start palying. We have developed understanding among ourselfs, we roughly know when we will be into the chorus hence need to change chords, we know what notes/chords to do the fill-in, we roughly know what style to play so it match the song. It's so much fun playing music that way. But ofcoz we too play some band's song like Beyond ( play untill we hear also want to vomit ), and Mayday... We spent our free time in the shop to look for the song's chord and then call our Vocalist and Drummer to go for a jamming session when we're done. And most of the time, we need only 1~2 practices to make the song we play being smooth. Since we all do our part by listening to the songs and practice our part at home. LIke me, I will listen to the song and find the bass line the practice in the shop before going the the band room. By this we save alot of time and money renting a band room...




Once again proven. Music is for all kind of people from any field. If you think you work in the office 9~5 with the stupid tie hanging around your neck means you are no good in music ? You are wrong .... This dude in the picture got a Degree in some business sutdy and earning 4~5K per month in KK. He is playing some Metalica here in the picture. But he is actually a drummer for our band ler, who can never follow the beat ngam one....




These are Marshall Amps, a very famous brand among Rockers. Why ? Deep and Solid distortion sound. You can see in almost every Rockers recording studio or concerts and the monitor. Damm cun the sound AitelU.... In the picture got 2 models. 1 standard and 1 stack. Standard ones have the Amp and Speakers molded together in a box, good enuff for small studios or small concert as the monitor. While Rack, they have a Amp and Speakers seperated to fit even bigger and powerful Amps and speaker, which means REALLY LOUD !!! Hah ?!?!? CANT HEAR YOU !~~~~~ LOUDER PLEASE ~~~!!!



From left to right. Yamaha 5 String with Active Pickup, Ibanez that I forgot the model, Ibanez also forgot model,Ibanez GSR 4 String. Started of with the GSR Bass, very good for beginners and it has a warm and solid sound and the action on the board are just nice too, not too high not too hard, also plenty of space for the fingers to move around. Then I moved on to the Yahama 5 String. That's when Steve started to teach me to do some 'solo'. Learn the chords that I can play on the bass, more notes that I can play, no need to drop key when I play hardcore songs. Also it has an Active Pickup so I can play around with more sound setting and and more control to fine tune the sound I wanted.



These are the Amps that I use. Peavy TNT and TKO. TKO is the smaller version with smaller output, that I use to pratice alot in the shop coz it wont be too loud. And TNT the monster, more power hence louder and with a Active/Passive input so I can have better control over the sound when I use the Yamaha TRB6 with an Active Pick-up. Warm Low and a sweet Hi ....



Pictures we took after a performing. We have musicians, guli, organizer, helpers, friends come to watch, owners, all good friends. We share so much of fun, so many lunches, so many suppers, so many boring afternoon, so many jamming, so many yam cha.... I miss you guys.



This would be the favorite pass time of all, Computer Game ! But dunno why I just can't put my hands on it. Everytime they start playing games I will just sit there and chit chat with those who are not playing or just walk around play guitar or take pictures...



We did spent time and alot of effort to pratice one ah. Like this fella Jackson. Another bassist from another band. They play different kind of music from ours, they play hardcore like Deftones. Sometimes when Jack not around I wll take his place and jam with the band, hence I am influenced and start to play Deftones, and I am loving it. But normally me and Steve will play some Fusion Jazz or try to learn Jazz. That's after he introduce Casiopea to me.
br>

Sometimes we do have Celebs to come over and Lan C abit ler. This guy in the picture is one of the very famous celeb in Sabah. Damm sai lei one, everytime when audience see him sure laugh one.... maybe his signature hair style..



You can tell how bored are we in the shop ? So bored that all the sohai posing for group picture....

13 Comments:

  1. +wennie said...
    MAT 7... gum lan geng?!

    next time we jam goh, sing 'Encore'.

    en en en core core core en en core encore~~~
    no no no
    no more encore~~~
    The Miserable said...
    the shop jap lap already??
    Anonymous said...
    last time u thinner hor?..
    Jo said...
    wahhh ahtak! You look so lean and mean then! Don't play play! Eh, what happen to you now??!! HAHAH!!! Just kidding lah. ;p

    So cool. I have always love musical instruments. All sorts I like. I have a good ear when it comes to music too so I think I would have made a good tuner.
    AhTak said...
    +wennie:
    Dakk ~~~ Mou man tai !!!

    TiuNiaSing:
    Choy ~~~~ Now the shop 3 times bigger than when the pictures are taken ler ~

    eve:
    alot thinner ........ waist 28 and 58KG. Now waist 34 and 78Kg... :(

    Jomel:
    Now ? Become Uncle Pig loh ... haih...

    sure mou ? Maybe I ask around then we can form a BLogger band, and you become tuner ~ hehehhe
    Anonymous said...
    eee...ah tak so you yeng 1 last time huh, so young and energetic, now ar~~~~~hmmmmmm.......hei zi gei zhi zi gei sii lar~~~^^
    The Miserable said...
    Of course lah, because you left the shop already ma!! Hahaaa...
    Unknown said...
    OMG!!! U make me 'lao hao sui' now! Great post!

    That shop damn big man! When I see the guitars the sexcitement is more than look at a sexy lady. Marshall amps are my favorite, got Mesa amp or not?

    Don't worry, I don't how to read notes and scales too, I just play from my hearing n feeling. Same sound come out is good enough right? No rules to say that you must press that particular string or scale to get the sound.

    Peavey amps also another good amps. You really got a good taste man!

    Fender Stratocaster and Gibson Lespaul are my dream guitars all the time, I just like old design :)

    Thanks for showing me the pics, I like it all very much.

    Cheers!
    Bill said...
    er errr... dude, you should isntal that reader tracker or site metre or whatever you like to call it in my blog man. that is cool. you got access to my blog rite.?
    AhTak said...
    Jacylynn:
    ceh .... got people want mei can loh .... I dated TiuNiaSing to bring me BasketBall and keep Fit, no worry. AhTiu ~ next week can ah ????

    TiuNiaSing:
    Ying goi hai loh... But next year I will be back for a visit .. hehehehehe, dunno what's gonna happen ...

    Kenny:
    The shop now even bigger ler, 3 times bigger !!! More Guitars, more Amps, more Drums. Cant wait to go back for a proper 'interview' and proper 'photo taking'.

    Agree dude. I Just use hearings and feel and let my fingers flows on the fingerboard, but need alot of practice so it doesnt flow to the wrong place hor ? ehehehe

    Fender Strat is a must have lah, the action on the finger board when Solo, the crispy sound and the suspend ... uuhh..... The Gibson's humbucker powerful yet warm and solid sound, which complete a rock concert ... Lovely ......

    Bill:
    Yo, I thought you never update liao ?hehehehehhe. Let me know when you want it.
    Bill said...
    I want it now man. Do it for me ASAP. Owe you a big time mate. yeahh, me important person mate always busy. So my blog only gets updated once every six months or a year now. That is good you know...hahahahhahahah
    The Miserable said...
    They are ready to close one shop already!!
    Anonymous said...
    come back KK lar... KK is developing already...
    ahahahahaha

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.